In accordance to the Decision No. 466/QD-BNN-TCCB in February 6th, 2015 issued by the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development, defining the functions, tasks and organizational structure of the Institute;
Research Institute for Marine Fisheries (abbreviated as RIMF) is a organization under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD). The main function of RIMF is to carry out scientific research , technological transfer, training, international cooperation, advisory services in marine conservation and marine resource development; fishing technology and fisheries processing nationwide.
Research Institute for Marine Fisheries (hereinafter referred to as RIMF) has its own legal recognization, seal, and is allowed to have the bank accounts at the State Treasury and the Banks that operate in accordance with the law.
The headquarters are located in Hai Phong City, Vietnam.
The operation budget of RIMF is allocated from the State Budget and other sources of income as designated by law.
English name: Research Institute for Marine Fisheries (RIMF).
1. Develop and submit to the MARD:
a) Strategies, plans, programs and projects on marine exploitation, conservation and development of marine resources in the long-term, every five years, and implementing every year after gaining approval from MARD
b) National standards, national technical regulations, economic and technical norms, processes and procedure, rules and technical guidance in the field of fishing technology, conservation and development of marine resources, that fall under the tasks of RIMF and in accordance with the law.
2. Fundamental research oriented:
a) Scientific basis for remote sensing technology, oceanography and ecology; study of marine resources, rules of dynamic in fisheries resources and biological fisheries for the prediction of fishing grounds and fisheries management;
b) The relationship between the environment, marine resources and marine fisheries; the effects of climate change on marine fisheries; to propose plans and solutions to handle environmental pollution and marine environmental management; use of microorganisms in environmental treatment; measurements to restore, regenerate and develop marine resources;
c) Fisheries social - economic issues; fisheries management models; models of organizing production and fishing on the sea; biodiversity and marine conservation.
3. Research on general applications:
a) Biotechnology research on gene structure, genetics, genetic selection for mariculture, storage and development of genetic resources of rare and precious marine species
b) Research on aquaculture technologies, including: hatchery production, farming techniques, nutrition and feed for aquaculture, disease prevention, domestication, hybridization of new aquaculture species and environmental condition for aquaculture.
c) Research on fishing technology which is suitable with the marine species and fishing grounds
d) Research on extraction and screening of marine bioactive compounds for purposes of medicine, pharmaceutial and nutritional foods
e) Research on improving and standardizing fishing gears, materials used in marine fisheries, ship mechanics, solutions to modernize fishing vessels and sustainable exploitation
f) Improving post-harvest preservation technology and processing of marine products
3. Improving post-harvest preservation technology and processing of marine products
4. Investigating, stock assessment and capacity of sustainable exploitation of marine resources; research on ecosystems to serve as a scientific basis for the rational use of marine living resources.
5. Monitoring and warning the marine environment and marine species’ epidemic.
6. Participating in the development of marine spatial planning and management of marine protected areas; developing maps of marine resources.
7. Post-graduate training, specialized training for human resource development; international cooperation in marine fisheries sector in accordance with the law
8. Information on science and technology, application the models of information technology and remote sensing in marine fisheries research; building and managing marine fisheries database; building standard museums and specimen rooms in terms of marine resources, biodiversity, fishing equipments, means of exploitation and aquaculture.
9. Decision making on inviting foreign experts and scientists to Vietnam and sending RIMF’s staff going abroad to work in accordance with current law and decentralization of management of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development .
10. Participating in fisheries promotion activities, transferring marine fisheries technology to all economic sectors; joint ventures and association with domestic and foreign organizations and individuals to produce and trade aquatic products according to legal provisions.
11. Provide science and technology consultancies and services based on legal regulation.
12. Develop and submit to the MARD the scheme of working positions, organization management, staffing of civil servants according to the titles, numbering of civil servants according to the titles and employees according to the MARD’s managemental decentralization and in accordance with the provision of the law.
13. Management of finance and assets assigned according to the provisions of law
14. Do other tasks assigned by the Minister of MARD
III. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
Board of Directors include 1 Director and not more than 3 Vice-Directors as assigned by the Minister of MARD as defined by the regulations;
The Director manages all RIMF’activities, he is responsible to the Minister of MARD and legally responsible for the activities, defines the functions and tasks of its departments, sub-institute, centers, research vessels (For organisations having its own legal status, seals, accounts, it must have approval by the MARD before promulgating). The Director is responsible for developing and submitting to MARD for approval of implementing the RIMF’s Regulations for organization and activities, assignes staffs suitably with the above tasks and the scheme of working positions approved by the MARD.
Vice Directors help the Director with mornitoring, directing some tasks (assigned by the Director) and be responsible for the tasks to Director, and lawful standards.
- Department of Administration
- Department of Planning and Finance
- Department of Scientific Administration, International Cooperation and Education.
- Department of Marine Fisheries Resources
- Department of Marine Biodiversity and Conservation.
- Department of Fishing Technology
- Department of Post-harvest Technology
- Department of Marine Biotechnology
- Laboratory for Marine Sciences
- Research Vessels
Departments, Centers, Sub-institute, Research Vessels have their Head of Department, and not more than 02 Vice-heads /unit. They are assigned and dissmissed in accordance with legal regulations.